Friday, August 14, 2009

It's Friday!

Which is sweet! Another weekend means another week has passed, and we are getting closer to trapping season! I don't think I would have been able to make it this far had it not been for some friends of mine, who have allowed me join them while training their young birds.



Gary has been giving me the opportunity to watch him raise his eyaas, and she is coming along very nicely right now with seven kills under her belt (could be more by now...havn't talked to him in a day or so). The speed that this little girl developed was crazy! I got to learn many different ways of setting up baggies and controlled slips, and have gotten the opportunity to see first hand what it looks like when a hawk is going really nicely and killing things with ease, yet is still way way over its "hunting weight" (to me, she seemed right on and keyed in, but Gary showed me all the tell tale signs that she was WAY fat)...it's one thing to read about all the "signs", but it's neat to see them all first hand.


At the same time, I have been going out with Mark watching him kite his new barbary. This has been hella fun, and it's crazy to watch how differently accips and falcons develope. He let me come chill out on the hack hill with him from pretty early on in the birds life, and it has been cool to watch him find his wings, learn about wind and thermals, etc, etc (the picture was taken by Mark on one of his first days out at tame hack).....He has been kiting it for a while, and he is really starting to become a strong flyer. Mark thinks he should have him going on wild game pretty quickly now! Up until now, the only kiting sessions I had seen where of Ryan (I don't think I mentioned it....but my kick @$$ sponsor is Ryan VanZant, and he has been gracious enough to put up with my retarded self since early January....he plans on molding me into a pretty decent falconer...he sure has his work cut out for him!!!!!!!) and his birds, and it's neat to see how everyone has their own little "tricks of the trade" and ways of doing things....I feel really lucky that I am surround by so many gifted falconers, and can learn from some of the best.

Kent has also been getting his 1x intermewed harris hawk back up and running, and has invited me out for some car hawkin...I plan on getting out there soon. (sorry it's a $hitty picture, but it's all I had...this was the last rabbit he took last season)....He got a new chamber bird this year too, so it will be neat watching the whole process of getting them going in a cast.
So plans for the weekend? Not sure yet..... was tossing around the idea of heading to hydro to fly on Saturday, but if the funds arn't there, and I have to pass up on that opportunity, hopefully I will get out with one of these fine gentleman. Jonathan is getting the ball roling with his RT, Ryan should have his hybrid going in the next week or so, and there are only 32 more days till trappings season! It's about to be on!!!!!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment