Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Whats up wit all those ladies?!?!?!

Went and cruised around yesterday after work looking for birds. Austin wasn't doing anything too important, so I convinced him to come along with me. Our goal was to see if any of the pairs were double clutching in the boxes this year (with the hopes that I was right about the box by Mark's training field). We checked three of the four boxes, and I am disappointed to say that the only things i found in the boxes, were the remnants of the previous clutchs' nests. Mark suggested that I had probably seen the recently fledged young going in and out, which sorta makes sense now that I think about it. Bummer on that, but while driving around, we did end up seeing quite a few kestrels. Most of them were pretty jumpy, and would bump down to the next post before we could get very close, but a few of them stuck tight. Unfortunately though, we only saw a few females.....we saw TONS of males, but all my big girls were out chilling somewhere other than by the road...little sluts! They need to come to papa!
I have been reading up on para chord equipment on the forums, and it seems that pretty much everything about it is positive. The only cons I really heard were that some people felt like it was too flimsy, and had a tendancy to get twisted up, eventually locking up the swivel.....Now Ryan hasn't ever mentioned this happening, and with as many birds as he has tethered with para chord, one would think he would have encountered said problem...so i'm thinking it doesn't happen often...maybe just a freak accident. Either way, I have been pondering this slight "downer" to the whole para chord setup, and have decided to make a set of completely woven jesses. I worked on the first one yesterday, and it's def a lot stiffer! It seems strong as hell, and i don't think the para chord lost any of it's integrity during the process. My thoughts so far.....not sure...they take a lot of time to make (so far), and I think for the system to be completely effective, I would have to do a woven leash too...So the question is....is the mass amount of time spent, the sore wrists, and the "well....they are kinda cool lookin" results worth all the effort? IF para chord does have a tendancy to get tangled AND IF this woven system fixes that....no...its probably still not worth it:). I think you can buy dacron for pretty darn cheap, and I think it would be easier to learn how to braid, than doing this...then you would get the stiff result you were lookin for....i will probably just stick to normal para chord stuff from now on. Still gonna finish the set though...i'm just interested now to see what the final outcome looks like. 21 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment