Thursday, October 15, 2009

It's the new brush pants baby! # 3

Ryan had an extra dog kennel laying around, and being that my car is always NASTY from Maggie after we go running, was kind enough to let me borrow it for a minute (have I mentioned lately how much of a gentleman he is?????). Soooooo, I headed down to Bartlesville after work to pick that up. Since I was making the journey and what not, we thought we may as well go flying, so that's just what we did. Got to the field, looking esp sexy with my NEW brush pants on :), and got her weighed in. At 5:30 PM (DAY 29), she weighed 1013 grams....a little bit lower than I would have liked, but over all, not too bad. Got the lure loaded, and Dee Dee beeped up, and we headed off into the field. Today was the day that she discovered wing overs!!!! The session started off slow, with Ryan kicking up a rabbit with Dee Dee out of position, and she ignored that, along with the reflush. After an attempt at a rat (I HATE ratting!), she finally decided that she would get her head in the game, and start paying attention to us. She got up in a tree above us, and made a REALLY nice attempt at a rabbit in the middle of one of the briar patchs. She made maybe two or three pumps out of the tree, and then tucked and SLAMMED the bush! It was really neat to see her figuring out the fundamentals of a good wing over. We still where not getting a lot of slips, and just for confidence sake, swung by "the" rose bush (where she keeps catchin her bunnies). Had another slip or two out of there, where she did some more nice wing overs and crashed the bushes....even with them still being SOOOO thick (b/c we havn't gotten our first freeze yet), she still managed to crash all the way to the ground on a couple of them. Didn't want to stay there very long (cause we don't want to make the rabbits leave), so we headed off east toward the main road. There is a batch of Brambles running along it, and we where hoping to kick some bunnies up from there. We start heading in that direction, and she flies up onto one of the big telephone pole over head. We kick around for a minute, and then she makes a pretty decent flight at a rabbit, but comes up empty footed. I hop her up to the fist, and continue walking toward the road/bushs, when I kick up a rabbit directly at my feet. She takes off after it from the fist, and follows it really well, with the rabbit doing it's best to dodge and manuever out of the way. She misses, and flies back up to a dif telephone pole. Ryan said that that was pretty good, b/c those where the types of flights that she would be getting this weekend in woodward....wide open, where the rabbits get away b/c of their "moves", as opposed to making cover. Anyways, kick around in the bushs somemore, but we don't manage to move around anymore rabbits. We decide to head off accross the field, and try and hit one of the bushs in the back that we hadn't hit since last season. We start walking, and Ryan was a little bit in front of me. He was holding the top of his stick, and I guess she assumed he was calling her over. Dee Dee flew over to his glove, and he makes a step or two.. About that time, a rabbit decides to bail about ten or fifteen yards in front of him, and she bails off of his fist pretty hot. She pumps toward it hard, and then slams into the brush. I wait for the squeel, but nothing. We meander towards her, and when we get to her, Ryan is is like "she got it!" I said no way, but then get closer, and sure enough, she has two feet holding it's head, and the rabbit is sorta curled up in a ball. I dispatch the rabbit, and we clip off a few pictures. I give her a moment to calm down and let her start plucking, and then I trade her off to the lure. I think I gave her a little TOO much time and she broke in a little bit more than I was wanting, cause she was sorta reluctant on the trade, but we managed. Hopped her up to the fist afterwards, and she feisted on warm front and rear legs, along with some organs. Got back to the car by dark, and after a few more pictures, stuck her in the GH and headed on home victorious. Put her on the scale at around 8:30 PM, and she weighed in at 1119 grams. Decided she needed a little bit more, so I fed her another 20 grams of rabbit, and then stuck her on her block for the night. This morning, she weighed in at 1087 grams, so I'm thinkin she should be good to go for our session tonight......Good times!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. well done really pleased for you, wish i could amke this weekend but i got my own bird to catch !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So psycehd for you to get one brother!!!!!

    ReplyDelete