Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Log Day 41 Rabbit # 9


Her weight is going up, and she just keeps getting better and better! Got home around five, and had a phone call from my good hawkin buddy Jonathan. We where discussing the game plan for the morning, with the goal of scoring rabbit #2 for him and his girl, and what does he hear in the midst of our conversation???? Chirp...chirp chirp chirp....chirp chirp chirp! I'm like, "what the heck is she talkin for????" Up until yesterday, my lil girl had been pretty much silent. Jonathan said she was tellin me she was ready to go hunting, which in hind sight, sorta made sense. I have a routine. Get home from work, rush around getting all my gear ready, hood her up, stick her on the scale, and off we go hunting. It makes sense that she has picked up on this routine, and got all geeked out when she got hooded (it's time to go kill something!!!!!). She WOULD NOT sit still on the scale, and prefered to just turn in circles, rouse, lift legs....do whatever it takes to NOT get a good reading. Eventually she calmed down, and she topped out at 1067 grams. This was DEF heavier than I had ever flown her at, but she seemed psyched for the session, so off we went. I decided to hit the field that I had found by the train tracks, and after getting really irritated by the fact that my five minute drive to the field is now 15-20 minutes (b/c of all the stupid construction), I arrive to find out that the one night of freezing temps had done WONDERS for my field. The underbrush was def less dense, and what I had "thought" would be just an alright field, had transformed into very nice lookin rabbitat. Crossed the tracks (after looking both ways of course), and entered the field. Beeped her up, and took all her gear off, and she immediately flew up to a tree (incase I havn't discussed this....Dee Dee prefers to chill on my fist, and only goes up to trees when I start bouncing her around everywhere on my glove, whack her in the face with bushes, etc, etc...and she gets tired of the irritants.) Anyways, headed straight for a tree, and then turned and looked at me like "come on dude...I'm waiting" (though animals don't think like that, i'm personifying her behavior for all of you "visual" readers, who picture what's going on in their heads like I do). Anyways, that was a good sign to me that she was ready to go, so I start hitting the bushes that run along the tracks. I kick up a rabbit in short order, and she flies off after it putting in a really nice chase, but ultimately pulls up and lands in a tree. I hear the rabbit take off through one of the more "denser" sections, so I start kicking around in there hoping for a reflush. I get it moving, and start yelling HO, when a hag comes out of no where and slams her off the tree branch. She starts yelling (which is now the second time I have heard her speak), and takes off after it, and makes three or four stoops on it, before she is satisfied, and then returns to the tree above me. With that out of her system, it's time to get serious on this hunting game again. I start pushing through the thick section again, and I kick up another rabbit pretty quickly. That one bails out into the open field that runs along the "rabbitat", and I'm thinking that one is dead for sure. Unfortunately for Dee Dee, this rabbit had ninja moves, and put the jukes to her, and left her on the ground footing grass. Got her back up into the tree, and I kick up another rabbit, but she refused it. I stood there for a moment or two to let her collect herself, and then I started kicking around a briar patch that was just to the south of the tree she was in. Kick up another rabbit, and she ALMOST snags this one, but comes up with a foot full of fur. Back to the tree she goes, and I kick out another rabbit, which she chases HARD for about three hundred yards. At the end of the flight, she sorta does a two twist cork screw straight up into the air, then (continueing with the rotation), does a SICK wing over (with an extra twist...we are up to like 4 or 5 three sixties by now) and starts drilling straight for the ground. At the last moment, she pulls up and lands on a branch about ten feet in the air, and is looking straight down. I run over there, and there is a sheet of metal laying on the ground. I hit it with my stick, and the rabbit pops out for a moment, and then tries to bail back under it. Unfortunately for the rabbit, I was now standing on top of the metal, and his fat @$$ wouldn't fit back under it, so he takes off in the other direction. Bad move, cause as soon as he bailed out the first time, Dee Dee was already on her way. She goes over my head MAYBE six inchs above me (but it felt like she was brushing my hair the whole time), and slams the rabbit about three feet infront of me. They do a summer sault (sp?) and land in the little creek that is next to me. I step over, and grab them out of the creek (she was holding it's head under the water), and stick them on dry land, where I quickly dispatch our furry friend. The trade off was EXCELLENT, and she ended up getting a front rabbit leg on the lure, and then I hopped her to the fist for another front leg, and a back one. I, of course, can't manage to leave the field with all of my gear as usual, so will be returning this afternoon to get my flushing stick and lure (shut up I know!). Luckily, this catch was in a very obvious area, so I won't have any troubles finding them. Total, I kicked up 6 or 7 rabbits the whole session (I left some of them out of the story obviously), and she ended up scoring within about fifteen minutes of being in the field. Got home, and she weighed in at 1150 grams, which is perfect, b/c it should put us another 10 grams higher for our session tonight. I'm going to keep pushing her up, until she starts screwing around. It was raining this morning, so no session was to be had with Jonathan, but hopefully he will be down to join us for our session after work. He went and checked out a new field yesterday afternoon, and said the rabbits where poppin everywhere! I also, was given a heads up on a new field, so will probably try and hit that one up this afternoon. This pleases me, b/c I now have AT LEAST three good fields that I can contribute to "the cause." Not that Jonathan insinuated in any way that I was stepping on his fields or anything, it's just nice to be able to contribute ya know. So game plan....get my stuff at lunch from the "train field", finish out my Tuesday work day, and then see if Dee Dee can get into the double digits catagory!

2 comments:

  1. Dan,
    I read your last two posts back to back and they were really exciting to read and i found myself cheering on Dee Dee as the lines of text went on.

    Quick question: i have read sparingly about dispatching game... could you give me some details about how YOU dispatch your game. I am particularly interested in bunnies and squirrels.

    If you dont want to write it on here, my email should be attached.

    Keep the good posts coming, i love seeing pictures of dee dee in action!

    Later,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. your e-mail isn't on there, so just send me a PM at rcklmbr2586@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete