Friday, October 2, 2009

Log 17

Took her to a different Park today (with no RS's screaming!), with the plans of having a few quick flights, and then a BIG feed up on the lure (hopefully, to get her more responsive to it). She weighed in this morning at 1053 grams, which is a loss of 95 grams in 23 hours, and a ROL of 4.13 GPH (sparrow DEF goes through her a whole lot quicker than quail!). Took her out, and again, she was VERY distracted, which sorta bummed me out. At a grand 50, I was expecting near perfection, simply b/c I had such great response at 1040 grams the other day. This was not to be. The squirrels where out in full force this morning, and she only had eyes for them. I managed to get a couple short flights out of her, but none of them where instant (by my new standards), and she took a LONG time in between them. My only thought is, that I possibly didn't give her enough time out of the hood, before I started the session. Ryan always stresses that I need to unhood her, and give her a moment to "look around", get comfortable, and what not.....I could have just rushed her, but I don't really think that was the problem (to be perfectly honest...but hey, what do I know, I'm a newb....). Anyways, ended the session with a big feed up on the lure (three sparrows), and I must say, she had better response to the lure today, than she did to the fist (which was pretty backwards compared to all my other sessions). I was def pleased about this, and am starting to think that she is realizing that her lure is a good thing. As far as the finish up on the lure, and then hop to the fist, she is flawless on that (which she always has been), but I usually would bend down a little bit when I offered her the fist...not anymore. Yesterday, she hopped up to the raised glove (without me having to bend down), and then today, I stood back to what I would call a "normal" distance from the lure (as far as after a trade off from a kill, and you drag the lure away....then if she hopped back to your fist where you made the original kill....if that gives you an idea of the distance I'm talkin about....). Talked to Ryan yesterday, and we are shooting for a grand 40 tom, instead of a grand 50 (obviously, she isn't too responsive at 50, as seen from today's session). I fed her 70 grams of sparrow today, which put her at 1123 grams. I will have to talk to Ryan and see what his opinion is on the whole situation, b/c the amount I fed her will put her lower tommorow than our "target", but going off of her response today, that may be a good thing. If not, I will feed her a little more at lunch.

4 comments:

  1. The problem right now is bouncing her weight all over. Now we need to dial it in and keep her at the weight she is working best at.

    -Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful bird... i love how white and prominent her superciliary line is above her eye.

    Pick out a name yet?

    I might be going hawking with a friend and his harris sometime soon, ill let you know how it goes!

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. chill dude and jsut enjoy, you are both learning !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have any good flight this weekend?

    ReplyDelete