Monday, January 18, 2010

Not too bad....

Well, the plan was to go back to work........didn't really happen. Got home, and she had cast...weighed in at 585 grams, and it was off to twin peaks to meet up with Ryan, Kent, and C...... (can't seem to remember it right now...). Had a nice brewskie, and then we all headed over to Jeff's house. Got all the birds loaded up, and we headed off to do some car hawkin. Being that both school and work where out for quite a few people, there where crowds EVERYWHERE! There where starlings and grackles flying around and down on the ground, but just couldn't manage to keep them on the ground long enough to slip....people where everywhere! Sooo, we headed up north a little bit, and drover around some of the more "industrial" areas. Found a nice slip in short order, and she shot out and grabbed him like a pro. Headed back to pick up my car, and Ryan introduced his new kestrel to starlings. He wasn't sure how she was going to react to it, but she was off the fist instantly. After that, it was time to pull out Sayda. We went to the lowes field, and I pulled the subi up nest to the grass. The plan was to fly her in and out the car window, but that plan broke down pretty quickly. Pulled the hood off, and she grabbed her tid bit like normal...then she bated. Recovered, and I put her down on her perch. She wasn't focused, and was VERY hesitant on the recall. Tried her from the roof rack, same thing...we had some bates in there too if I remember correctly. I can't figure it out...she SHOULD be spot on. I put her up, and say it's a no go. Ryan tells me I'm rushing her, and to get her out again. I do what I am told, and she does better. Call her to the fist a few times, and then it's time to see what she thinks about starlings. Well....it took some coaxing, but I think her response will be dramatically different next time. She did PRETTY good on the trade off to the lure, and I think she will keep improving as long as I don't do anything to screw it up (fingers crossed). She got a couple rat legs on the lure, and then I hopped her to the fist for half of the starling breast. She worked on the wing the whole way back to Jeff's house, and we didn't have a single bate! Now that I think about it....this may be one of the highlights of the day...first encounter with the car unhooded, completely postive...I think it's a good thing at least. Anyways, she weighed 617 grams when I stuck her on the scale at 7:30 PM, and she will be high for our session tommorow.

No comments:

Post a Comment