Thursday, January 7, 2010

Red-Shouldered on Crows

Saw something pretty freakin cool yesterday. I had just finished up eating lunch with Lindz, and I was driving down the road that runs infront of my work. There is a group of three or four crows down on the ground, and all of a sudden, a passage red shouldered comes blasting out of the air, and nails one of them on the ground. They start wrestleing around, and she gains control of it really quickly. The other crows start dive bombing her and screaming, and within a few moments, their cries draw in another four or five crows. Most of them land on the ground and start circling her, while the rest continue stooping her from the air. They sit on the ground for maybe five minutes or so, and every time the RS tried to move or eat, they would move in on her. Eventually, the hawk had enough, and bailed up into a tree. The crows follow her to the tree, and eventually flush her out of there as well. Last I saw, they where chasing her out of sight. It was so intense to watch! I hope my bird is half as ballsy as this one was, b/c she was continually grabbing at all the crows when she was on the ground. I think she would have taken them all on, if there wheren't so many cars driving by, and she wasn't pressured by me (I pretty much just pulled over right next to them...). Red shoulders are so awsome! I'm psyched for a good session today!

3 comments:

  1. No one will believe you without pictures. We gotta get you a camera phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shot a short video of it on the ground with the crows circling it, but since I can't zoom, you can't really tell what's going on

    ReplyDelete