Thursday, January 7, 2010

We are getting close....


Headed home on the lunch break, and I stuck the crazy girl on the scale. She weighed in at 651 grams, so I was hoping for a good session today. Struck the braces on the hood, and pulled it off of her....Whistled, and she grabbed her couple of tid bits. She was fired up today, and after I set her down, immediately jumped back to the fist. That was a little annoying, so I set her down again, and started walking away. Got about five feet, and she was on her way. She did this freakin like seven or eight times! Eventually, she figured out that coming to the fist when she isn't called doesn't get her anything, so she stayed there and waited. Got to the other end of the garage, and I called her. She was pumping toward be before I even finished the whistle, and was on my fist in a flash. Stuck her on a block of wood, and I headed to the other end of the garage.....she hopped up onto one of the rails for the garage door. Dang it! I whistled, she was on my fist in a flash. Got a couple more garage lengths with instant response, then she flew up to a high perch again. Whislted, and she came right down. I have decided she has a CRAZY short attention span. She will be focused in completely, but if I don't call her pretty quick, she tries for a higher perch. I stuck her in the GH, and let her calm down for about ten minutes. Pulled her back out, and we got four or five instant responses across the garage. Also did a couple tid bits thrown to the ground, and then she hopped back up. She again, wanted a high perch. Hopped up ontop of the fridge, and started looking around like she was going to fly agian. Whistled, and she flew down to the fist. Couple more flights, and then I presented the lure with the front half of a rat on it.. She hasn't had any casting material for a little bit, so it was time she had some. She was hesitant again on it though, and it took some coaxing to get her to hop down for it. Hopefully this bigger feed on the lure will help strengthen her lure response some. She is all about it and agressive when it's given to her, but she is pretty weak on the call to it. I think she would trade off a kill to it right now, but I don't think I could recall her with it...if that makes sense. She is a talkative little thing, and I really enjoy listening to her little chirps and chitters. Her leg is looking better, and if it heals like the other one, then it should be good to go in four or five days. I'm hoping it will be quicker though, since we have the improved anklets, and she is a little lower in weight (won't be messin as much hopefully). Anyways, depending on the wind tommorow, I may try and do a few quick hops to the fist outdoors....we shall see. Got back to work, and there was a nice hag RS sitting in one of the pine trees next to the building. We had been sitting right next to it for a long time, and didn't even see him sitting there. A crow flew up to a branch above it, and that's what made me see the RS. I LITERALLY walked right underneith it when I took these pictures. It was just sitting there watching us! If I had had the quail in the car, I could have tossed it out for him, and I guarantee he would have come out of the tree and gotten it!

No comments:

Post a Comment