Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Crazy Coops!

Well, for those of you who don't know, I have a pretty thick coopers hawk population in my area. One pair nested just a few streets down from my own, and it's not that uncommon to see them a few times a week. Ever since I put my pigeon loft up, they are around my house A LOT more. They have been getting nice and plump on my inexperienced birds. Anyways, put the bird out to weather while I was eating lunch, and she had been there maybe forty min or so, when i suddenly hear the coops callin. I rush to the window to see a huge haggard female make a nice little stoop at the RT, but pulled off well above her head, and landed in my neighbors yard, yelling her head off the whole time. I tried to get some pictures of her sitting up their, tellin the world how pissed she was this bird was on her turf, but she was just too far away for my bad camera. Anyways, when i weighed her at lunch, she was at 1114 grams, which is a loss of 6 grams in 5 hours...not too bad for being perched hooded all morning. From the trap, that's a total loss of 129 grams, or 10.38%. I have been getting into contact with some of the local pecan orchard owners, and have been given permision to hawk a few of them, which is SWEET! I'm stressin on having enough fields to hawk, so every new one is a blessing!

3 comments:

  1. I know that feeling, check out your local public hunting area and check with the Engineer Corps about their land around any lakes. Nice thing about living down in this part of Oklahoma is an abundance of this type of land. You might have the same opportunities up your end of Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have access to keystone lake and all the public land around it

    http://www.swt.usace.army.mil/LIBRARY/Webhuntingmaps/Keystone.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up brother

    ReplyDelete