Thursday, September 17, 2009

Your not going to believe this!

We didn't catch a single passage kestrel......I know....nuts huh?!?!?!? This is how it went down. Headed to Bartlesville Monday night, and we got up semi-early to head out of town. Saw quite a few kestrels in the morning, but I ended up botching most of the tosses (silly apprentice!). Jonathan joined us for our trapping trip, b/c he was wanting a new RT, but we only saw one passage bird too, so to say the morning was slow would be a pretty big understatment. Mid morning/afternoon hit, and all the hawks went soaring (not very condusive to trapping huh?!?!?!?). Kept driving, and didn't see another freakin kestrel for 6 HOURS! Little sluts just dissappeared. Got to Woodward, and Ryan took care of some work stuff, and then we were on our way to Hydro. Saw a couple more kestrels, but they were not it trappable situations, so we didn't even toss a trap till late evening, when we got close to hydro. Still, no interest in the traps from the birds, so we got to Chris's house, and got our drink on!
The next morning, we headed out again, but with the company of Chris, Jon, and Walt...again, no birds were caught, and we were getting a little irritated. Chris said screw this, and we headed up to his "honey hole" for passage RT's. We were not even off the highway for a minute before we trapped out first bird, and it continued like that for the rest of the afternoon. We trapped 6 RT's that day, and 4 of them were kept (one went to Jer's apprentice, whose name escapes me right now, Jonathan got a new bird, Chris kept an average sized male, and I ended up keeping a female!!!!!!). Still can't believe I ended up with an RT....she will be good times though, and I'm pretty damn psyched about the possibilities this season holds. I am cramming in my studying right now, since I havn't really focused my reading on RT training for YEARS, but hopefully I will pick up the info pretty quickly! I have a kick@$$ sponsor though, and the support of my good friends, so hopefully she will turn out to be a good lil bird. We accidently deleted all of the pictures off of the camera, when we were uploading them onto Ryan's computer, but here is a teaser for ya. More to come VERY soon (once I get them back!). Come on baby, let the good times ROLE!!!!!!!!!

1 comment: