Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day 15

At noon, she was at 1039 grams. She lost 21 grams in 4 hours @ a ROL of 5.25 GPH. Flew 15 or 20 times with instant response, and ended the session on the lure, which she is continually improving at....still not instant by any means, but at least she is flying further for it each time. Total, she ate 101 grams of quail, and I put her back weighing in at 1140 grams. On another note, my sponsor said that I need to be keeping track of behaviors, body language, focus, speed to glove, etc., more so than exact weights at this time (since I have her flying, and we are focusing now on strenght, etc....he refers to all of this as my "number jibber jabber" HA!). He says that, as her weight goes up, I should be seeing quicker response times and more focus, which he was exaclty right about (in only a day!). Last night, I thought she had good response (which she did, but apparently it wasn't great), but I would occasionally have to wait a second or two, for her to look my direction, before I would hold up the glove and whistle. Today was completely different. She was completely focused on me pretty much the entire time, and I only had to wait once (out of the fifteen to twenty flights) for her to look at me, before I would call her (and that was only about a 2 or 3 second wait), other than that, she was completely focused on the game at hand. She didn't really seem like she was flying faster as far as speed goes, but she was def faster in her responses (these "instant" responses where even more quick than her previous "instant" responses...)....if that makes sense...it does to me.....anyways, session in the morning at the school, and then I will probably have a session flying from Trees to me at Chandler Park Friday morning (just to make sure she likes coming to me out of trees)....then it's all about the rabbit field Saturday morning (where HOPEFULLY Kent's harris hawk decides to tear it up, and snatchs a baggie bunny for me...FINGERS CROSSED!)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That was a quick turn around. Great to hear you are getting some more consistancy with the long distance + instant responce.

    Quick question... are you going to free fly her from the tree first? or gonna keep the creance on? I only ask because i dont know if she would view the tree as another distraction.

    Also, done any jump ups with her yet? i know thats pretty good for conditioning....

    Happy Flying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just thought of this after i commented... This helped me a lot when i was trying to figure out how much to feel the Peregrine and GH Owl when we went from fall to full blown winter.

    Obviously the birds metabolisms are different in mild weather as opposed to freezing cold, so i used this to make sure i wasnt under feeding them.

    The link is to my personal server... its an excel file...

    http://www.personal.psu.edu/jam811/ROOT/FRIENDS/caloriecalculator.xls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, I will check that out. Have done a few jump ups, but not a ton. I shall be keeping her on the creance when I fly her out of the trees, just b/c I'm still messin with her weight and what not...plus my sponsor told me to keep her on a line till Saturday when we all go fly, and his wish is my command :)

    ReplyDelete