Monday, September 28, 2009

Weekend update Days 10/11/12/13

Had a GOOD weekend! Went over to Jeff B's hosue after work on Friday, and we made a spacer for the #7 hood, and talked birds for a minute. Jeff sure is a good guy, and I'm lookin forward to some good times hawkin in the near future. Headed up to Edmund after that, and stayed with my brother and his wife for the evening. Didn't end up messing with the bird till 10:30 PM, and she was at 1067 grams (1054 grams naked). I'm not sure what her deal was, but she was not very responsive at all, and I only got one hop out of her, before I put her up for the night. DAY 11 at 9:00 AM, she was at 1054 grams (1041 grams naked), which means she lost 13 grams in 10.5 hours, at a ROL of 1.3 GPH. Again, she wasn't responsive, so I put her back in the GH for an hour....got her back out at 10:00 AM, and got 5 or 6 good hops to the fist. I put her back into the GH, and headed to the wildlife expo with her at 1076 grams (1063 naked). She did really well at the expo, with tons of people around. Didn't have any bates, and she was calm the whole time. Around 2:00, we took some of the birds outside for a little weathering, and Ryan decided it was time for a creance session. I informed him that I had just fed her 4 hours ago, and that her response was a bummer then, but he roled his eyes at me, and hopped her to his fist three or four times with INSTANT response! I'm like "WHAT?!?!?!?!?" Then we get the creance out, and she does a little hop to the fist, and then a return to the perch, before she started turning her crop over. Hind sight has made me realize, that the reason I have been getting "slower" response than I should be, and the reason she was perfect for Ryan, is because I'm workin her with the dog everytime, and Maggie is a distraction still. DAY 12 (9-27), she was at 1022 grams (1009 grams naked). Total, that is a loss of 234 grams over 12 days, with an average loss of 19.5 grams per day. Total, that is a loss of 18.83% from trap. Did a creance session outside with her and the dog, and only got about five good hops out of her, before I ended the session on the lure....the longest was only about 5 or 6 feet. I'm getting tempted to put the dog away, so that I can have more progress with her, but she is still so distracted by Maggie, that I think re-introducing her to the equation later would just add more work over all....I need to just be patient with my progress, and it should pay off in the long run. Anyways, put her up last night at 1066 grams (1053 naked). DAY 13 (This morning), she was at 1033 grams (1020 grams naked), which is a loss of 33 grams in 14 hours, @ a ROL of 2.36 GPH.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dan!

    Just stumbled upon your blog and am really excited to start reading through your adventures...

    Whats your new birds name?

    Later,
    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is currently un-named, but am def open to any good suggestions. The wife is leaning toward Lola, but it's still up in the air....my sponsor calls her "delicious"....it's starting to catch on in certain circles (geeeeeeZZZZZ)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the wildlife rehab center i volunteer at, we just adopted out a muscovy duck named Lola... so that really doesnt do anything for me :P

    I havent gone through my apprenticeship yet but i am pretty set on naming my first hawk "Pheona". Dont know why really... just like the sound it.

    How about dorothy or daphne? hahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. i shall present them to the wife, for her consideration. Thanks for the suggestions. She is also leaning toward Sadie, as of this morning....

    ReplyDelete