Friday, September 25, 2009

Log Day 9/10

At 8:00 PM, she was at 1084 grams (1071 grams w/o leash setup...will be refered to as "naked" from now on, though it's not a very accurate description, since she has a bunch of gear on....either way..."naked"). I must have been off of my "A" game last night, b/c she managed to pull the first few tid bits out of my hand (without hopping)...sneaky lil slut! B/c of this, her response time was less than desired (compared to yesterdays), so I only did a couple hops before she lost her "instant" response. She got eleven grams (they were big portions), and I put her up for a break at 8:30 PM (she was at 1095 grams, or 1082 grams naked). Got her back out fifteen minutes later, and got two more hops out of her with instant response, for about 5 grams of food, and she went back on her block at 1110 grams, or 1087 grams naked. This morning DAY 10 at 7:30 Am, she wighed in at 1100 grams (1087 grams naked), which is a loss of 10 grams in 10.5 hours, at a ROL of .95 GPH. Well, I finally got around to making a hood. Lets just say that watching other people do it (or helping out making one with "proper" supervision) gives one the misguided opinion that "hey, I can do that." Well....it's a WHOLE lot harder doing it at home by yourself. My seams arn't smooth on the inside, my eye placements are lopsided, and the beak opening isn't centered.....I worked on it for a few hours, and it's useless! Pretty much, the only thing I did correctly was to keep the stitching tight. I have an even greater respect now, for those who have the patience to make hoods, and have become masters at their crafts (like Jeremy Bradshaw! I couldn't ever dream of making a product THAT good...his kestrel hoods are out of this world!) I AT LEAST think I have the sizing down correctly now. I was aiming for a 7.4 hood, but the pattern was so off, that I ended up using a 7.6 and evening up all the lines, so after trimming, it was the size of a 7.4.....I think some of my problems came during the "evening out" process, and I lost some of the curves in the hood., had I made it properly, it would have fit perfectly (I think). Oh well...think I'm gonna give Huber a ring, and see how much a hood would set me back. On the plus side, the bird has stopped trying to kick the hood off she is wearing now, so it will work for the time being.

1 comment: