Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day 70 rabbit # 18

Woke up early this morning, with the plans of heading to mowhawk park to chase squirrels. I started heading that way, and then realized that with all the construction, there would be no way I could make it to work on time. So I headed back out to Little Germany, and walked through the woods for about forty five minutes or so. Dee Dee had weighed in at 1060 grams at 6:00 Am, and she was def in hunting mode. Didn't manage to move any squirrels, and due to the possibility of deer hunters in the field in the back, never went and tried for any rabbits. Headed back out there on my lunch break, hoping that the deer hunters would be gone, and their cars where no where to be seen! Put on the hunter orange, and I carried her through the trees, to the field in the back. Sruck the braces on the hood, and it was off to beating brush. I kicked around in a pretty large (but low) briar patch for a few minutes, thinking that it may just hold a rabbit or two, but none where seen. Moved on, and we headed through a really open section, and came to a little clump of trees. Everything else around it was pretty open, but there where quite a few of the bushs with the little red berries (that seem to always hold rabbits) there, and some viney bushs, so I decided to kick around in there for a minute. Moved all the way through it without seeing a single rabbit, but as I approached the edge, one makes a break for it. It barely gets a hop or two outside of the tree line, when Dee drills it to the ground, and I run in to secure the rabbit. Next comes the trade off, which is what I struggle with the most. The day we got the double and the wood rat, she traded of perfectly, and I had been offering her tid bits on the kill before I would present the lure. When I caught the rabbit at the dumpsite with Jonathan, the trade off was horrible, and I didn't offer tid bits. I was wondering if there was a corolation, so again, I offered tid bits on the kill before I offered the lure, and she traded off perfectly. I will have to catch a few more things before I'm confident that I have figured something out, but if i can fix her trading off problem, then I really don't have anything else I can possible complain about. Anyways, hopped her to the fist for a front and back leg, and let her eat the front one, before I stuck her and the back leg in the GH, and headed on back to work. Good day, and a good learning experience.

6 comments:

  1. your problem is she is not wed to the lure. Zoie only has to see it now and she will dive for it, then trade her of with tidbits to the glove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont know about that... it seems like it might just be a sporadic tendency for dee dee to get pissy about the trade offs. You dont HAVE TO use a lure as a trade off point... in fact non of the falconers i know do. they simply offer a well garnished fist and trade directly to the glove.

    Trading to the lure, then to the fist works well... but its a bit redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is def not the case....she is very wed to her lure, and her behavior is a result of my botching the trades in the beginning....she didn't see anything fair about the trade, and felt like I was robbing her, therefore becoming slightly possesive on the kills...it was a direct result of my inexperience, and has nothing to do with how much she is wed to the lure currently. That being said, you did hit on a key point, which is that she wasn't adequately wed to the lure AT THE BEGINNING. Had I known how to make a proper trade like I do now AND had her properly wed to the lure from the start, then none of these problems would have come about in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can usually pin point exactly why she had a bad trade...there doesn't seem to be anything that random about it. I either rush her, or I expose too much meat, or she caught in some crazy position, and I had to mess with her more than usual in order to get her out, etc, etc, etc...there is usually a reason. That's why (I think) the tid bits are going to make the difference. One, it forces me to slow down, and not to rush her. Also, it takes some of the "kill" focus out of her, and puts her mind more on eating. After she has gotten a bite or two, presenting the lure is just like another easy tid bit, and she gladly jumps off the kill for that (well...the couple times I have tried this). When I say she has a "bad" trade...it's not a "bad" trade like in the beginning, but bad compared to my new standards. As far as dif trading techniques, there are tons that work. Personally, I like trading to the lure...there are quite a few arguments for why trading to the lure is the best course of action(if done properly that is....not like I did!!!), and could discuss that more in depth through PM if you would like (just a little long winded for the comments section on here).....again though...apprentice...learning still, so we shall see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can usually pin point exactly why she had a bad trade...there doesn't seem to be anything that random about it. I either rush her, or I expose too much meat, or she caught in some crazy position, and I had to mess with her more than usual in order to get her out, etc, etc, etc...there is usually a reason. That's why (I think) the tid bits are going to make the difference. One, it forces me to slow down, and not to rush her. Also, it takes some of the "kill" focus out of her, and puts her mind more on eating. After she has gotten a bite or two, presenting the lure is just like another easy tid bit, and she gladly jumps off the kill for that (well...the couple times I have tried this). When I say she has a "bad" trade...it's not a "bad" trade like in the beginning, but bad compared to my new standards. As far as dif trading techniques, there are tons that work. Personally, I like trading to the lure...there are quite a few arguments for why trading to the lure is the best course of action(if done properly that is....not like I did!!!), and could discuss that more in depth through PM if you would like (just a little long winded for the comments section on here).....again though...apprentice...learning still, so we shall see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh it jsut reenforces the lure. somthing that at a later date if you havent kept up youll regreat. i guess its somthing else we will have to agree to dissagree on.

    ReplyDelete