Monday, November 23, 2009

Days 66, 67, & 68

Friday was pretty weak! Got out to the Field around 3 PM or so, and nothing was moving. Flew for a good couple of hours, and only got one rabbit slip, and no squirrel sightings at all. We where at the dumpsite, so I'm not really sure what was going on, but it is what it is. She got a good work out in, and I fed her up to 1087 grams. Saturday was better. I met up with Jonathan, and we headed out to the dumpsite to do a little hawking. I offered to let him fly first, but he graciously declined, so we beeped Dee Dee up, and headed into the field. Again, the rabbits just where not jumping, and we only got two or three slips in the first couple of hours. Eventually, we made it back to the front part, and started walking the fence line, and she made a nice flight at a squirrel in a tree a little bit aways. I headed in that direction, and found her on the ground, looking around all confused like. Got her back up in the tree, and I started beating around, hoping to get a reflush on the squirrel. I heard the brush rustle to the side of me, and she came buzzing in, and slammed the ground near me. Got to her, and she didn't have anything, so I got her back up, and went to see if I could reflush it again. The brush was really high in this section, so I just started wading through it, when I hear the bells jingle, and she comes shooting past me, toward the open field that I was about to get to. I stop and listen, and then I hear a rabbit squeel!!! I twist my way through the rest of the brush, and made in for the dispatch (#17!!!!. Apparently, the squirrel had just dissappeared, and there just happened to be a rabbit over there that I kept kicking up. It was a nice sized bunny, and interestingly enough, it had a black head. Pretty weird to see, but it def put up the most fight of any rabbit she had caught thus far. Got Shaung out next, but we only managed a few slips for her. I was hoping to show Jonathan a good time at the dumpsite, but they just didn't want to come out and play. Had to head home, so we called it a day, and when I weighed her later at 8:00 PM, she weighed in at 1101 grams. Woke up Sunday around 5:30 AM, and she weighed in at 1083 grams and had yet to cast. Loaded her up, and we headed down to Bartlesville. The goal for the day...meet Raul, go fly some ducks with Ryan's hybrid, and then get a little flying in with Dee, before I had to be home by 12:30 PM. Got there a little early, so I drove around scouting for new fields out there. Found one potential spot that I think will be REALLY good, so I'm thinking about checking it out next time I'm there. Got to Ryan's around 7:30 AM, and we headed out looking for ducks. Found a GREAT setup at one pond, so he put him up, and we ran in for the flush. She took a pretty decent pitch considering she is still a young bird and learning (around 700 feet or so), and came down and smacked a gadwall pretty good. It managed to make it back to the pond, so we let the hybrid take another pitch, and then we flushed them again. Ryan and Raul came from one side, and I ran across the dam on the other side. This worked, and two ducks took off low right across the dam, and I got a front row view of the the falcon coming in, and slamming the duck. It bounced off the ground once, and she pitched up, and then dropped straight back down. The duck made a flap or two trying to get back up, but the hybrid drilled it on the ground, and the struggle began! You never know how people are going to react to you reaching in on their bird, so I waited for a moment till Ryan and Raul got into view, and then after getting the go ahead, reached in and secured the duck until Ryan got there. It was a pretty bad @$$ flight to watch, and duck number 4 is in the bag! Had a quick lure session with the jerkin, and then it was off to fly the broad wings. Jonathan had made it up there, so him and the crew headed off behind the mall, and I went to the school. Rabbits again, where not wanting to play, and only got a couple slips for her. I headed back to the woods, and we started looking around for squirrels. Got a nice session on a fox squirrel that lasted about 15 minutes or so, but it eventually made it to the ground, and dissappeared into the bushes somewhere. Continued on, and we eventually kicked up a grey squirrel in a dense section of vines. It bailed toward a tree and got a little ways up the trunk, before Dee slammed it off the side. Somehow, it got out of her grasp, and bailed back into the vines. She took her perch, and I beat around in the bushes, and tried to get it moving again. Eventually it kicked back out, and she tried to nab it on the ground, but it evaded her, and made it up into a tree. The flight went from tree to tree for the next five or ten minutes, and she almost grabbed it another time or two, but missed. Eventually, they got further in front, and I was trying to catch up, and the squirrel took advantage of this and bailed to the ground. It cut back in my direction, and I made a ton of noise, and turned it to the side toward some cedars. She barely missed again, and the squirrel made it to one, and vanished into thin air. Called it a day, and we headed back to town. at 2:00 PM, she was at 1082 grams, and I left her out to weather for most of the afternoon. This morning, she weighed in at 1043 grams, and I'm going to squeeze in a session over the lunch break.

No comments:

Post a Comment