Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!! #19


Slept in till TEN O'CLOCK this morning!!!!!! It was great! Went and did family stuff all day, and then I got the kitchen pass to go flying around 4 or 4:30. Dee had weighed in in the 1040's around 1:00 PM, so I knew she would be keyed in and ready to go by the time we flew. Headed out to a new spot that I hadn't checked out yet, which I will refer to as "Lowes" from now on, and had a great session. I hadn't walked the field yet, or even been back there, so I was a little nervous about being able to find the pockets of rabbits....because of this, I decided to bring Maggie into the field with us. Though the bird is used to Maggie, and had been introduced early on, this was the first time to go fly with both of them. Stuck the bird up in a tree, and then I let Maggie out of the car. Dee was watching her REALLY hard, and I'm not really sure how this initial interaction would have gone down, but I managed to kick up a rabbit within 30 seconds or so of entering the fields, and that snapped Dee's attention back to the game at hand. Maggie was being useless at this time, and I was pretty much paying more attention to her, than I was the bird. LUCKILY though, this field was AMAZING, and I managed to kick up four rabbits or so in short order (maybe....ten minutes). Still no connects yet, so we started making our way down a two track that led straight throught the center of a wooded section FULL of squirrel nests. There where quite a bit of briars in there, so being that I had Maggie and what not, decided she should crash them instead of me. I told her to "find them bunnies", and she took off into the brush with her nose to the ground. I kept walking, not really expecting anything to happen, when all of a sudden, I hear the brush rustling, and Maggie starts crashing through the brush in that direction. I stop walking, b/c I can tell that Maggie is running straight toward me, and all of a sudden, a rabbit pops out of the brush and onto the two track. I must have surprised the rabbit, b/c it jumped really high, and turned to go back into the bushs. About that time, Maggie comes breaking through the bushs, and cuts off the escape route, so the rabbit takes off down the road. It makes it a little bit down the road, and then is looking like it's about to go back to the bushs, when Dee shows up, and hammers the rabbit into the ground. The squeel was cut really short, and in the 3 seconds it took me to get to them, she had already killed the rabbit. Killed it already you ask???? Ya....well.....it was a pretty small rabbit. In fact, it was just barely longer than my lure, but a rabbit is a rabbit, so it counts. The trade was perfect AGAIN (I think the tid bit thing is workin!), and then I hopped her to the fist for both back legs. I usually do a front and a back so that she doesn't get too heavy, but it was so small, I was thinking it would be alright. I'm not sure if I just cut the legs with too much meat, or if the piece on the lure was bigger than I thought, but when I got home, she was in the 1120's....which is a bummer. Doesn't look like she will be at killer weight tom, but we shall see what happens. LINDZ FOUND THE CAMERA CHARGER!!!!!! So no more boring blog posts without pictures....thanks hun! These are the pictures of the triumphant Maggie after she finished "hunting"...(she ran around being rediculous and got lucky!)..thinks she owns the darn place!

1 comment:

  1. Good story. I need to get my dog into the action, but i know that Tess can be a little "dog aggressive". I just need to get them acclimated and do it.

    Keep it up.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete