Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Log Day 49

Noon time, she weighed in at 1032 grams and was spot on. First slip on a squirrel, and she went at it alright. Drove for a few minutes more, and found a couple of them sitting in a yard. She bailed out the window HARD and smashed a big old male fox squirrel off the side of a tree. I hauled toward her, but she got bucked off before I could get to them. She was def more focused as far as "actively" looking for game as we drove around, and her bating inside the car is lessening each session. Got another slip a little bit after that, which she chased pretty hard. It bailed out of the tree onto a roof, and she almost snagged it as it jumped off the edge into someones back yard. She then followed it along through the trees for a little bit, before I was able to call her down to the fist. I'm thinking this was the last session that I can "safely" fly her on squirrels, b/c she has now figured out that unlike rabbits, the chase isn't over after the initial flush, or the second one. I can't be having her nabbing squirrels in peoples back yards, so it's on to "real" squirrel hawking now. Headed up to Bartlesville to pick up the fridge, and I flew her for about an hour or so. Only got a couple of slips before dark, but no connects. One notable flight....she took off over the wide open expanse, and flew for about 3 or 4 hundred yards, before she did a wing over into the grass. I heard the squeel, but she must have lost hold of it before I got there, b/c I found her sitting on the ground with feet full of fur. I'm thinking I need to sharpen her tallons, cause that's two things in one day that she has bound to, and then ended up losing. I'm getting irritated with my lack of productivity lately, and am going to need to figure out a new "game plan", as far as putting consistant slips under her, and doing my part. Ended the night on her block weighing in at 1100 grams.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoying the stories, keep 'em up. chasing squirrels is a blast!
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words brother. Any advice on squirrel hawking would be GREATLY appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find a squirrel on a tree that is somewhat isolated. Get your bird on it (seems her pump is primed anyway) then give her time to figure it out. You need to slow down and let the bird work. Keep ho, ho-ing, moving around, and banging on the tree to keep her interest piqued. With time and exposure she will figure it out.

    http://hawkingharrisblog.blogspot.com/
    Keep it up!
    Doug

    ReplyDelete