Monday, December 28, 2009

Dang it!


I'm bummin pretty good right now. We make a couple steps forward, but now we are taking a HUGE step back! Tonight was going to be the night that I introduced her to the pole perch. This is how it was going to go down....I was going to have our session and hopefully get some nice jumps out of her, was going to introduce the lure, and then after putting her back up for a moment, was going to get her back out to put her on the pole perch (tid bitting every once in a while once she was calm and chillen). Being how crazy she is, I'm HOPING that the pole perch will be more condusive to her temperment, and hopefully she would calm down a little bit. Well, brought her into the house, and set her on the pole perch to take off her leash/etc to weigh her...that's when I noticed that her anklet wasn't rotating on her leg.....got it rotating again, and I slid it up on her tarsi, to see what exactly was going on. I discover that during her battle with the perch yesterday, she somehow gave herself a little bit of scale damage, so we are now on hold. I completely skipped weighing her, and just fed her part of a back section of a rat. She did well, and since I wanted ZERO bating after our session, cut the lights, and hooded her back up. She weighed in at 695 grams when I brought her back inside, and I greased the heck out of both of her anklets. I then covered the tarsi in neosporin, and she is chillen on the pole perch, listening to the dish washer. She will be spending the majority of her time in the GH until further notice, and our focus will be on healing. Luckily, I caught it early on, and it's probably not as bad as I think it is, but being the newbie that I am, I'm freakin out about it. What really irritates me, is that this whole situation PROBABLY (maybe not....but probably) could have been avoided, had I checked her anklets and greased the crap out of them BEFORE I let her fight it out with the perch yesterday....granted...it could have still happened anyways, but I should have been proactive about it. I KNEW she bated hard, and I KNEW that she was going to be bouncing around a bunch...should have done everything in my power to have avoided this situation. Hind sight also....I should have just stuck her on the pole....shouldn't have even messed with the block...again...I knew her temperment BEFORE hand, and should have started with the pole, and moved to a block/bow once she had calmed down. Hind sight is 20/20 and all that jazz.....fingers crossed that it will look a lot better in the AM. There is no way to make the picture NOT a bummer, but I thought I would get Lindz to stand there and smile...just so that it was a little bit better....the black die on her leg makes it look a LOT worse than it really is...

1 comment:

  1. Good thing you caught that. Best of luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete