Monday, December 14, 2009

Day 91 She just keeps gettin better!


I was in a hurry today....I'm not gonna lie, I had trapping on the brain, and just didn't really want to get out and fly....I'm SOOOOO glad I did! Stuck her on the scale at noon, and she weighed in at 1065 grams, and then I headed back to finish up the work day. Got to "bum central" at around 3:15 PM, and after cutting up her tid bits, and loading up the lure (I wasn't prepared today!) I beeped her up, and it was time to fly. As soon as I pulled her out of the GH, she started talkin. Unlike normal though, she continued talkin, and it only got louder when I struck the braces on the hood. Tossed her up in the tree, and she IMMEDIATELY flew over to the bush we usually start on (still talkin). It was pretty windy, and when she went to fly to a different tree, she caught a gust, and it took her toward the open section of the field (in the front). This is where I was heading anyways (I just always walk the tree line on my way there....you never know...may kick up Peter), so I walked out to the mowed section, and made my way to where she was. I kick around in the first couple clumps of trees, and since my goal was to walk the ridge and then head to the back field, I looped back to the beginning of the ridge, and started walking down it. I guess I kicked up a rabbit (it was really windy....didn't hear it bolt), and she came rocketing out of the tree like she was starving! She passed over my head, and slammed the ground about five feet next to me (higher up on the ridge). She missed, and I see the rabbit shoot off toward the top of the ridge, and disappear out of sight. As soon as Dee hit the ground, her head popped up, and she remounted and started BURNING up the hill, and disappears over the top. I start running up the hill, and she is no where to be seen. I didn't hear a squeel, so I didn't think she had caught it at first....but after a minute or two, she didn't pop back up. This was my heads up that she had caught it, so I start walking back and forth, looking all around the top, and down the side of the steep hill (which is on the other side of where I kicked up the rabbit). I know that she had to be in the near area, so I start making my second pass down the ridge. That's when I hear the jingle, and I find her under some rag weed, and she is sitting there waiting for me 24th rabbit!). I go in for the dispatch, and this is where it gets interesting.....she had ZERO momentum when she remounted off the ground....pumped the rabbit down, and slammed it so hard, that she popped some of the guts out of it's side (She is trying to imulate Shaung apparently....). I really wish I could have seen the end of the flight, but I just couldn't get up to the top as quickly as Dee did :).....I bet it was sick lookin though! Total hunt time....15 minutes. I traded her off to the lure, and then hopped her to the fist for both front legs, and a back. Feed her the goodies at the car, and then off we went. I was psyched...the way she was acting, I believe one would have described her as being in "yarak", and she was DEF getting a kill today. This was the first rabbit she has caught on the remount which was also cool, and she gave me enough time to drive around lookin for RS's afterwards. Gary had a passage in his back yard this afternoon, so we are going to start watching that one as well. It's just a matter of time, before one of them is mine!!!!

3 comments: