Thursday, December 31, 2009

Leg Update

Well, the redness had pretty much completely gone away, and I was feeling really good about the whole situation....then I pulled her out of the GH this morning. Not only was the redness back, but her leg had swolen some as well. I'm like WTF!?!?!? She has been sitting in a GH not doing anything, how is it worse now, than it has been this whole time? Of course, I start freakin out. I'm thinkin that it has to be a fracture. I stick her on the pole perch (hooded), and shoot Ryan a text. I tell him the situation, and ask him if I should take her to the vet. While I'm waiting for his response, I notice that she is picking at her anklets pretty consistantly....hmmm....he texts back, and says that being that the swelling is up on her tarsi, it could very well be a fracture....again.....FREAKING OUT! Look back at the bird, and she is standing on one foot...the foot that is hurt. That makes me feel a little bit better, but I'm still going crazy. Luckily for me, Ryan just happens to be very good friends with one of our local avian vets, and though she had a surgery coming up in an hour or so (and was booked up the rest of the day), said she would squeeze me in before hand. Loaded the bird up, and we hauled balls down there, and got her an X-ray. It was pretty intense while we waited for it to pop up on the screen, but when it did...........................NO BREAK!!!!! (BIG @$$ SIGH OF RELIEF). She said that the bird was probably just picking at her equipment, and that's why it swelled up and turned red again. Looking back at her behavior this morning....that sorta makes sense. Anyways, I feel much better now that I know there isn't anything seriously wrong with her, and I will continue with the neosporine and bag balm, until it clears up. She was at 695 grams yesterday at five, so I left her alone for the evening. She was at 684 grams when I weighed her at 9:30 this AM, so she should be good to go this evening. Will be following the same game plan as I had discussed earlier....feed on the lure, and then hop to the fist for the remainder of her meal. I'm still going to hood her in the dark (which isn't getting me ANYWHERE as far as hood work goes), but I would much rather have zero bates during the session, than to work on her hood training, and irritate the leg more. Fingers crossed, everything will go off without a hitch. On another depressing note, her new hood isn't working out either (yep...that's what...hood number 3 or 4....). If she doesn't touch it at all, then it works fine. One little scratch from the foot though, and it's back to wet spots on the hood. Switched her back to the hood that Gary loaned me, and that is working fine for now. Will have to make another one....

No comments:

Post a Comment