Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day 78 Squirrel #3

The weather sucked today. It was raining when I stuck Dee on the scale at 6 this morning (she weighed 1052 grams), and it continued to rain up until around noon. I new that the rabbits wouldn't be out hoppin, and I wasn't really sure if the squirrels would be either, so I wasn't really psyched about the prospect of flying. Headed home on my lunch break, and the crows where everywhere. Saw three at the park on the way home, there where a couple in the parking lot at the school by my house, and there where six or seven in the grassy area belonging to the business next door. I was thinking it was a sign, so I ducked out of work at three, and I met my buddies Jeff and Lil Baggles at my place. Handed the keys over to Jeff, and after getting Dee beeped up and tape put on her bell, we where on our way. We had decided that we where going to start off the day driving around some of the industrial areas near "the dumpster." so we where cutting through the neighborhood, in order to get on the high way. A squirrel was just begging to be caught, and though I said I wouldn't fly in the neighborhood anymore, it was just too good of a slip, and I had to try. Roled the window down, and tossed her out the window. She dropped down low and came in like a bullet, and slammed the squirrel about five feet in front of the tree it was heading to! I run over there, and find Dee with the squirrel completely under control. One foot was on the squirrel's head and the squirrel's back end (as in, having it wrapped in a ball), and the other foot was clamped down around its chest. I put the squeeze on the squirrel, and we had a perfect trade off to the lure. Hopped her to the fist for a tidbit, and off we went again. Drove around for about an hour or so, but couldn't find any birds on the ground. This was expected, b/c unlike earlier when they where everywhere, I now had my bird, so of course, they where no where to be found. I had been thinking about it for a little bit, and had decided that I need to crop Dee up really well. I've given her some big feeds since I caught her, but I havn't given her a baseball crop or anything, so I fed her the whole squirrel (it was a really small one). She is a fat, fluffy ball of feathers, chillen with her foot up on her block. At 5:30 PM, she weighed in at 1226 grams....so we won't be flying for a few days. That's alright though, b/c I just felt like she needed it. I'm expeting her to come back with a little more zip, once she is back to hunting weight. Goal for the next few days.....searching for passage Red-shouldered hawks!!!!! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment