Sunday, December 27, 2009

Step up, and first hop!

Progress, but she still hates my guts! This bird is a FIREBALL, and she keeps me on my toes all the time! Her footing is SOOOO fast, and she trys to slip in shots all the time! I have been really good at avoiding her thus far, but her beak is a different story. She is wicked with that thing, and though it's my fault when she gets me, it sure does hurt! Her beak is a LOT sharper than the RTs, and she is really quick with it! After our session today, I was putting the hood back on her, and she flipped her head around and tagged the side of my pinkie GOOD!!!! I like her spirit though, and I think she is going to be a CRAZY aggresive hunter. Anyways, she was around 670 grams today (I got a new pineo swivel from Santa Clause, so I switched up her setup a little bit, and she also got a new hood so she was "around" 670 grams). Total, that's about a loss of 11%, or about 83 grams from trap. We tried being unhooded on the perch yesterday, and that was a disaster! Her tail is already a bummer to begin with, so I HAVE to save whats left....she was just too rediculous. Here is a quick video of her fightin with her jesses (don't mind the commentary....the wife got a new camera, and they where having a "stimulating" conversation about batteries!!!! :)) This bird DOES NOT train like Dee Dee did, and I'm having to take baby steps with her, where I could take leaps with Dee. It all adds to the adventure though, and I'm learning quite a bit from this bird. With these baby steps in mind, I started out the session today with sitting on the perch in mind, as well as to see if I could get a hop out of her. After holding her unhooded for about 5 or 6 minutes to get the "willies" out, I offered her a couple tid bits on the fist, and she reached down for them quickly. Tried putting her on the perch, and she went nuts! Picked her back up, and tried again....took me three of four times before she stayed put, and then I offered her a tid bit on the perch. She ate that, and then I picked her back up, gave her a tid bit on the fist. I set her back down...bated once, and then I got her back on there. Gave her another tid bit on the perch, and then held one out in front of me. She leaned over really far toward me, and took the tib bit out of the fist. Picked her back up, and I gave her a tid bit on the fist. Set her back down, and she sat there perfectly. Gave her a tid bit, and then I held my fist out, and made her lean for another one. She did that with a little bit of hesitation, but once she did, then I picked her back up, and tid bitted her on the fist. Down again, tid bit, held glove out of reach, and she stepped up for the tid bit!!!!!!! I was psyched. Gave her three or four tid bits for that effort, and then I set her back down again. Tid bitted for sitting on the perch nicely, and then I held the tid bit out about half the leash length. She hesitated a little bit longer than I would have liked, but she then hopped to the fist for four or five tid bits. Ended the session on that, and she was at 699 grams when I stuck her on the scale. About 30 grams of food, which isn't bad....I stuck her in the garage, and hopefully she will burn that up quickly. I still havn't switched to rabbit, b/c I forgot about the rest of the rat meat I already had thawed, but once I get her on that, I think we will progress a lot quicker. Hind sight...having her hop off the perch for a tid bit was not a good idea, but I was too caught up in her progress, and got carried away. I don't want to teach her bad habbits though, so from now on, "perch work" will be one part of the session, and hopping/etc will be a completely seperate part....I'm hoing to get her on a routine where I work with her a couple times a day, and that will speed up the learning curve. Can't wait to get back flying.....I need my fix!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. things sound like they are going really well! happy to hear she is such an exciting bird!
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete